Suzanne was trying out a new recipe to share on her next houseboat trip. She needed something easy to make and that can have some of it prepared ahead of time and delicious of course. She found this fun recipe on Pinterest. We did a test run last night, well, Suzanne cooked, and Heidi tasted. It was so delicious. Suzanne thought it may need a little more seasoning but Heidi thought it was just right. Whatever your spicy preference may be, it was delicious and definitely something we will make more of. We thought we would share the recipe with all of you.
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas with Avocado Salsa Verde
For the Avocado Salsa Verde
2 med. Tomatillos, husked and rinsed
½ jalapeno, sliced (seeds removed if you prefer less spice)
1 lg. California Avocado (peeled and pit removed)
¼ cup cilantro leaves, packed
½ lime, juiced
Salt to taste
For the Black Beans
1(14.5 0z) can black beans, mostly drained
½ tsp. each chili powder, garlic powder, cumin
½ lime, juiced
Pinch of salt
For the Tostadas
8 crunchy corn tostada shells
1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Cotija cheese (this is really smelly cheese so beware)
Sliced cherry tomatoes
For the avocado salsa verde
1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse a few times, until mixture is mostly combined, but still slightly chunky. Set aside. ( can be made up to a week ahead of time, store in air-tight container in the fridge)
For the black beans
2. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. (These can be prepared up to 4 days ahead of time. Store in air-tight container in the fridge.)
For the tostadas
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Place the tostada shells in an even layer on the baking sheet.
4. Spread about 1 to 2 tablespoons of black bean mixture over the top of each tostada, then sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook your eggs to your preference. The eggs pictured are cooked “over medium”.
6. Place cooked eggs on top of the hot tostadas, top with the avocado salsa verde, sliced tomatoes, fresh cilantro and a little cotija cheese.
We hope you enjoy your meal and have the best day ever
Suzanne and Heidi